What Healthcare Marketers Can Learn From Microsoft

Robby Krapfl | February 4th, 2015

The Super Bowl set a new record Sunday night with over 114.4 million viewers tuning in, making it the most watched TV program of all time. Why do so many people choose to watch the Super Bowl? Besides being the NFL’s Championship game and providing an entertaining halftime show (Hey, I thought Katy Perry did a fantastic job), the main reason most people watch the Super Bowl is the commercials. In a time where many households DVR their favorite shows so they can fast-forward through commercials, on Super Bowl Sunday, the commercials become the main focus of many viewers.  Quite odd, isn’t it?

As a healthcare marketer, one of my favorite Super Bowl ads was the commercial created by Microsoft, telling the story of six-year-old Braylon O’Neill, who was born without tibia and fibula bones in both legs. Braylon is now able to live a normal, active life due to the advancements in prosthetic technology. The commercial was emotional, engaging and moving. Microsoft hit the nail on the head.

Marketing healthcare isn’t like marketing anything else. The health and well-being of our families and friends is a top priority. When they are put in jeopardy, we experience a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Healthcare marketers must harness these emotions and make a connection with their audience. Once we have created that emotional connection and engaged our audience, we have the opportunity to change their behavior.

The most important motivator in decision-making is emotion. Studies shows approximately 80 percent of our decisions are based on emotions, whereas objectivity and practicality make up the other 20 percent. People make decisions based on their initial gut feelings; they then rationalize these decisions with facts. Marketers must find a way to stimulate the positive emotions of your target audience. How? Storytelling. Make an immediate connection with their hearts, and their heads will follow.

And tell me, what’s your story?

Ready to Move the Needle on your Healthcare Marketing?
Contact us today!